In the United Kingdom there are only a handful of camping areas where it is illegal to set up tent, however in Scotland you must request permission from the landowners before setting up camp anywhere. We suggest you follow local signs instructing whether you may park and set up or not.
Also there are wonderful designated camping sites instead of just camping in the open wild. As a benefit, these camp sites typically have wonderful amenities such as recycling centers, restaurants, recreational parks, laundromats, showers, kitchens and business centers--some even have swimming pools.
We can provide you with the two main websites that work with campervan travelers: www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/camp-sites or www.camp-sites.co.uk In most of the locations you can choose from a wet or dry package. A wet package includes powered sites for about 15 to 25 pounds per day and a dry package typically goes for 8 to 15 pounds per stay.
We hope you enjoy the campgrounds and use it as relaxing pitstop and take the opportunity to dispose of your waste and recycling properly along with meeting new people on your journey!
Things you should know if you decide on camping freely (non-designated areas) while traveling through Scotland:
- Basic rule: Leave everything the way you saw it or in a better state.
- Do not throw any trash or recycling on the ground. Only in marked bins.
- We suggest you don’t chop down trees or damage the vegetation as some of these areas are protected by law.
- Bring your camera, leave with a great experience and take home no regrets.
- Follow all local, regional and federal instructional signs.
- If you have a doubt about whether you’re allowed to do something or not, it’s best you ask someone from the area.
- Please be careful with sanitary napkins, female hygiene products or any other personal products after use. There are animals that may find them and confuse them for food.
- If you decide to go completely nature-like and would like to use the toilets as our ancestors did please do it about 30 meters (100ft) from any water depository or well.